Although these little critters are only about a half inch long, they can cause a lot of anxiety if found in or around a home. Silverfish consume a lot of materials and foods found in the home, yet they are able to go for very long times without eating anything. They are considered pests, and can contaminate foods, but they are not known to carry any diseases. If you are looking for possible ways to eliminate Silverfish from your home, take a look at these suggestions. We can’t guarantee any of them, with the exception of number 5.
- Boric Acid. This is known to be effective against many types of bugs and pests, but remember that it can also harm animals and children. If you try this, remember it may take a couple of weeks for real results to be seen.
- Diatomaceous Earth. This is something that more and more people are using to eliminate pests of all kinds. The best part is; it is non-toxic to pests and children. It may cause sneezing, because it is a fine powder, but it will not seriously injure if applied properly.
- Cucumbers. Cut the cucumbers into small strips and place in your cabinets and also in your basement. The scent seems to be a repellant to silverfish. Basil and sage are also said to repel silverfish.
- Dehumidify your home. Silverfish thrive on damp and cool conditions. Placing a dehumidifier in your basement and main floor can help eliminate silverfish.
- Call us at All Pest Control Company. We are a locally owned company who has been helping residents of the Portland area to get, and stay pest free for many years. We use more environmentally friendly products to help you rid your home of Silverfish.
If you spot silverfish near or in your home, it is wise to start treating as soon as possible. Using home-made remedies may or may not be effective, but if you want to try, there is no harm in that. We are always here to exterminate your silverfish infestation if you need us, just in case.