If you’ve found a few ants in or around your home, you may be able to get rid of them with off-the-shelf repellants and spray products from local hardware stores. But, a large ant infestation means that they have established large colonies in your house. If this is your situation, you may need to rely on professional pest control experts to get rid of them.
Infestations can happen in the cleanest of homes. If a tiny sugar crystal dropped behind the stove or something spilled where you can’t see it, you might attract ants. They will eventually invade your home to look for food and warmth.
Over-The-Counter Ant Control
You can buy a wide range of products to treat ants that get into your house. But beware of placing traps where children or pets could access them, since most store-bought products are toxic or fatal. Moreover, over-the-counter solutions are often counter-productive. It can often lead to a colony redoubling their efforts.
In general, over-the-counter solutions are temporary fixes. Ants will usually find another way to get inside your house, if conditions warrant it.
If there is a colony that is inside your walls or in the foundation somewhere, the only way to really get rid of it is to call a professional exterminator to destroy it.
Professionals Can Treat Colonies
Ants are part of our environment and will never go away. However, they belong outside, doing their small part in the circle of life—composting, eating other dead insects and providing food for birds and small animals. If you have them in your house, call on a professional’s help to locate and eradicate the colony and the queen ant that lives in it.
Additionally, a professional is often able to resolve ant infestations faster than over-the-counter solutions. Professional services also last longer and are often more environmentally friendly.
How to Prevent a New Infestation After Treatment
Once you stop an ant infestation, you then want to take steps to prevent new ones from cropping up. Here are five practical steps you can take:
- Thoroughly wipe and clean all surfaces and drawers where food may have spilled or may have dropped behind the stove or counters.
- Vacuum floors every day to ensure that any small crumbs or pieces of food that may have dropped are not tempting for ants looking for a free dinner.
- Store food properly by placing open packages of dry goods in a sealed plastic bag or another container and store perishable food in the refrigerator.
- Wipe down storage bins every time you open and close them to remove small food particles, jelly, honey or cereal, for example, from the outside walls.
- Look for leaks and moisture intrusion at exterior walls or around faucet enclosures.
- Patch all areas outside where ants and other critters can enter your home.
Request a Free Quote to Learn About Ant Infestation Treatments
Over-the-counter options help get rid of an ant infestation, but they often aren’t effective in the long run. For a greater likelihood of eliminating ants from your house, seek help from a professional pest control company.
We are experienced and dedicated professionals who can help you take care of ants in your home quickly and permanently. Contact us today to schedule a free, on-site estimate to get rid of ants in your home.